To my dearest P,
It’s been almost three years since we were last in touch. I’m sorry it’s been so long. I’ve been wanting to visit, but things have come up that I’ve had to prioritise.
I just wanted to tell you how much I miss you. I think about you constantly, I know it’s silly, but I do! I know that we can’t be together long term, but it doesn’t stop me from sometimes dreaming about it. I talk about you all the time. I watch movies and read books that remind me of you. I sometimes even write about you. I write about how I feel when I’m with you. And how after every time we’re together, it gets harder and harder for me to leave you.
People often ask me about you. I tell them all the special things about you, all the things to discover and what to expect when they meet you. I speak of your charm, your elegance and your beauty. I advise them not to judge you by what other people say. To wait until you’ve met before deciding how they feel about you.
I feel sad knowing that it will probably be another few years until we meet again. But just because we’re apart, it doesn’t mean that my feelings for you will disappear. Distance makes the heart grow fonder, don’t forget that.
I promise to always keep you in my thoughts, and to write only good things about you. I will be with you again before you know it.
Reinvent the letter format
Some might say a post in the form of a letter is trite and overdone. But when done well, a public open letter can tell a great story or get your message across.
Today, write your post as a letter. Approach it in any way you’d like, but if you’re not sure what to write, here are ideas:
- A letter to a blogger/writer, responding to one of their posts/articles.
- A humorous or satirical letter to a celebrity or public figure.
- A piece of constructive criticism (or praise) to a politician, international or local.
- A letter to a thing — a fear, a bad habit, an object, etc.
- A note to yourself at a specific age/year in the past or future.
- A letter to someone who cannot respond (a loved one who has passed, a fictional character).
- A love letter to a place.